Underbite correction in Smyrna & Brentwood
An underbite is a dental condition in which the lower teeth protrude further than the upper teeth. There are different levels of underbites, and the exact symptoms will vary. If you have an underbite, it’s crucial to receive treatment as soon as possible to prevent issues with your teeth and jaw.
What causes an underbite?
An underbite may be the result of several different factors, such as:
- Genetics: Your jaw shape and the size of your teeth are inherited traits, so underbites may run in your family.
- Injury: If you have received a jaw injury and it does not heal correctly, it may cause an underbite.
- Extended behaviors: Thumb-sucking or using a pacifier for an extended period can cause the jaw to change its shape, leading to an underbite.
Most cases of underbites are mild and may be unnoticeable until you go to your dentist for a physical exam. If you have a severe case, it is easy to see the lower teeth extending further than the upper teeth. A severe case may also cause pain in the face or jaw and difficulty biting or chewing.
Why correct an underbite?
Underbite correction is beneficial for your physical and mental health. People with underbites may feel self-conscious from their condition causing harm to their self-esteem and relationships. If left untreated, an underbite can also cause serious health issues such as:
- Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ): An underbite may harm your temporomandibular joint and cause you to feel pain when you try to move your jaw.
- Bad breath: A bacterial infection may develop in your mouth, causing chronic bad breath.
- Sleep apnea: If you have an underbite, you may be prone to snoring or mouth breathing, leading to sleep apnea.
Underbite treatment pptions
There are multiple underbite treatments available to help correct an underbite without extensive surgery. Some treatment options for adults include:
- Invisalign: TAs an aesthetically pleasing option, Invisalign will gradually move the teeth and jaw into a straighter position.
- Braces: Braces for underbites will use wires to shift the teeth into the correct position and use separators to create room between the teeth.
The treatment options for children will differ slightly because their upper jaw does not finish developing until their late teen years. Some treatment options for children include:
- Headgear: This option will slow the growth of the lower jaw to allow the upper jaw to catch up for proper alignment.
- Palate expanders: A palate expander will gradually expand the upper law until the lower teeth are no longer inside the upper teeth.
Why choose Barbieri Orthodontics to fix an underbite?
While it may be an appealing option to attempt to correct your underbite at home with the help of consumer orthodontics, this practice is dangerous and may cause even more harm to your teeth or jaw. Barbieri Orthodontics is a Diamond+ level Invisalign provider and Drs. Roedig and Barbieri have extensive experience with this treatment method.
For personalized, affordable care, visit one of our two Tennessee offices in Smyrna or Brentwood.